Research Assistant Professor
2018 – present: Research Assistant Professor, Southern University of Science and Technology, Academy for Advanced Interdisciplinary Studies & Department of Biology
2017 – 2018: Senior Research Scientist, Department of Biology, SUSTech, Shenzhen
2015: Ph.D., Bioinformatics, Taiwan International Graduate Program
2006: Postgraduate Certificate in Applied Bioinformatics, ‘Cologne University BioInformatics Center’ (CUBIC)
2005: “Diplom” in Biology (equivalent to master’s degree), University of Cologne
- Evolution of different layers of gene regulation and genetic basis of hybrid vigor and hybrid incompatibilities
- Comparative biology of closely related mammalian species (e.g., house mouse and Algerian mouse; humans and great apes), investigating the molecular mechanisms underlying differences in reproduction, behavior and metabolism
- Application of evolutionary and molecular genetic insights in biomedicine (e.g., for human reproductive health), conservation biology and animal husbandry
- Schaefke, B., Sun, , Li, Y.S., Fang, L., and Chen, W. (2018). Evolution of Post-Transcriptional Regulation. Wiley Interdiscip Rev RNA.
- Sun, W., Gao, Q., Schaefke, B., Hu, Y., Chen, W. (2018). Pervasive allele-specific regulation on RNA decay in hybrid mice. Life Science Alliance 1.2 (2018): e201800052. Web. 03 Sept2018
- Schaefke, B., Wang, T.Y., Wang, C.Y., and Li, W.H. (2015). Gains and Losses of Transcription Factor Binding Sites in Saccharomyces cerevisiae and paradoxus. Genome Biol. Evol. 7(8), 2245–2257
- Schaefke, B., Emerson, J.J., Wang, T.Y., Lu, M.Y., Hsieh, L.C., and Li, W.H. (2013). Inheritance of gene expression level and selective constraints on trans– and cis-regulatory changes in yeast. Mol. Biol. Evol. 30, 2121-2133
- Molcanyi, M., Riess, P., Bentz, K., Maegele, M., Hescheler J., Schäfke, B., Trapp, T., Neugebauer, E., Klug, N., Schäfer, U. (2007). Trauma-associated inflammatory response impairs embryonic stem cell survival and integration after implantation into injured rat brain. J Neurotrauma.